"If I must be honest, OH is still something I can only find appeal towards if I look more closely than I'm willing to. I suppose my opinion on it is still dampened by my less-than-enthused first impression of K:MoM."
I've been making something of a nasty error, but it wasn't until I received this comment that it dawned on me what it was.
I need to stop referring to the "Kirby - Mind over Matter" and "Outcast Hero" as being linked projects. Hidden in-movie references are all well and good, but I shouldn't go beyond that any more. I shouldn't be making artworks with playful nudges toward Outcast Hero's 'roots'.
Thing is, in all my jesting, people are getting the wrong impression. You either have those that fall into the first category of 'the ones who can't let go', whining and complaining that I should have carried on with K:MoM (and only because I was making a movie with Kirby in it). And then you get people like the one quoted above. People that have already made their minds up about "Outcast Hero" from what they saw of K:MoM.
Thing is, OH and K:MoM are no longer one and the same. "Outcast Hero" has gravitated beyond the template I started out with. It is deeper, more involved and more exploratory. I want people to look at OH as a work in its own right, not with sighing, 'what might have been's and relating it to characters and scenarios I never made. Therefore, I need to cut out the public referencing.
For those who can glance back at the past with warm feelings, the small references will bring them that little knowledgeable smile of enjoyment. For the rest...I figure it's best they stay uninformed.
In more optimistic news - animatic edits are coming along nicely! Still no luck on obtaining the needed software to render them properly, though.
I've already gathered the bulk of cameo lines for potential auditionees and composed a video of clips so people can get a general idea of the emotion I'm looking for. Not yet releasing the links publicly just yet, though.
2 comments:
to be honest, I don't see how anyone could complain. You've managed something most of us only ever dream about doing; ie, taking an idea and actually making it happen. Those who are fixated on the old idea can damn well try their own hand at it, and those who still think the two are the same and don't like it for that reason obviously aren't very observant. Outcast Hero is a really unique, and imaginative project, the end to which I anticipate with cliche-anime-style sparkles in my eyes. Oh yes. I went there.
my my, what a rant. bawhawhaw.
I have been following Outcast hero for about 2 years now, and I have to say I'm very impressed. Personally, as a huge fan of Kirby, I love to see you links to the original idea this was based on. I can't wait to see this completed, and just so you know, I would buy it if you ever commercialized it in an instant. :) I'll keep watching you on deviant art to follow all the great work you've put into this. Keep the dream going.-YoshiLink
Post a Comment