There's a bit of a stigma about animated films with running times longer than 1.5 hours. People have very little qualms if a live action movie should be two hours or so, but mention an animated movie with a similar running time and you'll often get shocked faces and remarks of "that's a bit long, isn't it?"
Good reasons, to be sure. Firstly, most animated movies are made with kids as the intended audience. No kid has an attention span THAT long. Secondly, animated movies take a lot more time to make than live action ones. Those responsible for creating them are often on a time budget. So therein lies the rub.
I think in Outcast Hero's case, the worry should not be over how long it is but more about whether the content of the movie warrants its length. It's one thing for a movie to be long and full of drawn out, shallow events that cause people's minds to wander. It's another thing entirely if the same duration is filled with important plot or character development that holds the attention - be it that of the dramatic, humorous or action variety.
But I'm going to wait and see if my screeners agree with me on that. Screening begins next Friday...it shall certainly be an intriguing experience!
5 comments:
But the target audience have been anticipating the movie for a long time, I think it could be 3 hours long and we'd still be jumping all over it with praise in a can.
I have a small comment to make. On average, Yu-Gi-Oh! the Movie runs about 90 mins long. My three year old brother has the atention span to watch it.
Zanaku - 'Praise in a can', e-heeheehee... you're too kind. Well I hope the movie does what I've set it out to do 8)
John - Yes, this comment is highly generalized and doesn't take into account the attention spans of particular individuals.
Curiosity has me wondering if your brother would have his interest held by a 150 minute movie, though. (Not that Outcast Hero is intended for his age group, by any means...)
Don't make it too short, I find most average movies too short already, and I think most of us, like your fans would enjoy it nice and long or however you had it planned.
Replying back:
If it has something to do with animations and is on the compy, he will enjoy it.
Post a Comment