Saturday, 4 October 2008

Consistency

I don't know if anyone actually READS this thing, but just for the sake of keeping a record of how long everything took me...

Scene 19 is complete bar arranging the panels and setting them into the project timeline alongside sounds and temp music. This gives me a couple of months to brainstorm scene 20's choreography and get it drawn up.

I want to get this animatic completed by the end of the year. Understandably this is still a major aim for one person, but I'll aim for it regardless.

Following that, I shall proceed with tidying up some continuity errors through earlier scenes. Then the test screening will begin. I have chosen a small panel of viewers whom I think will be able to give me some nice detailed feedback on what they think works and what doesn't. From there I can make necessary cuts or adjustments. Then for the meaty task of full-blown animation.

And here is where I hit my sticking point. Quality consistency.

Working entirely under our own resources, naturally the quality of our equipment doesn't match. With all the best VAing in the world, a less-than-desirable mic or sound card can make a recording sound pretty naff. Unfortunately, I have fallen into this category lately since my sound card is failing on all cylinders.

I can put up with a certain level of recording quality flaw, but loud hissing or humming is nigh impossible to smother with anything. When it comes to the crunch, I will have to see about drawing up a plan of attack on how to bring everyone's recording quality to a similar standard. Easier said than done when we all live thousands of miles apart.

Next is voice consistency. Not just in the regularity of submitting voice clips (and putting up with my nitpicking) but also actually keeping a character voice sounding the same. I currently have three VAs who fall into these categories. While I don't want to have to resort to drastic measures, keeping to a timescale may require recasting certain character voices.

Picture consistency isn't so much of a problem, since its all being channeled into/rendered on one machine in the end. However, this machine is going to need to be sturdy - I might need to invest in a better one as a result.

Therein lie my next set of obstacles (besides drafting up a few more staffers for non-voice jobs). Here goes nothing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ZOMG THIS WILL BE SOOOOO AWESOME KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS! YOU ROCK!